Getting Started with Visual Studio
- Visual Studio Express Editionsare free development environments that lets you get started with ASP.NET 2.0 development.
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is a small version of SQL Server that you can freely install on your development machine, and that you can even freely deploy with your applications.
- Northwind and pubs Sample Databases for SQL Server 2000 are also available for download.
- Absolute Beginner’s Guide to ASP.NET 2.0 starts you off at square one, and covers the essential foundational concepts.
- ASP.NET 2.0 QuickStart Tutorial provides a wealth of examples for all the common ASP.NET programming tasks. When trying something new with ASP.NET 2.0, this is the first resource you should turn to for help, guidance, and examples.
- ASP.NET 2.0 "How Do I…" Video Series shows more information about specific Web development tasks.
- Web E-Learning Courses are available from Microsoft at reasonable rates and some are free. If you are looking for self-directed in-depth training, you should look here.
- Microsoft’s Beginner Developer Learning Center may be helpful to new developers and kids.
Into the Future
- Mix 06 Presentations take a look into the future of Web and desktop development. If you want to see what the technology is evolving toward, look here.